The SIPA Environmental Coalition (ECO) is an organization dedicated to elevating the the most pressing global and local environmental policy challenges of our time. ECO raises awareness by offering skills-based trainings, hosting educational and social activities, and providing opportunities for advocacy through collaboration. Our goal is to spur action and engage the Columbia community in dialogues that highlight the linkages among our fields.
ECO STRIVES TO:
- Develop a community of practice for SIPA students interested in international environmental policy
- Foster a better understanding of and relationships with organizations that employ environmental policy students in NYC and beyond
- Enhance members’ skills and expertise in environmental policy through practical workshops
- Engage in environmental activism and advocacy on campus
We are looking for board members who will uphold our mission statement and who are interested in building a community of sustainability and environmentally-focused students on campus, not just at SIPA, but also cross-schools. Find the application here.
Applications will open on November 1, 2016 at 1PM ET and close on November 11, 2016 at 11:59PM ET.
Co-Presidents (2): Lead people, lead teams, lead organizations
- Lead ECO’s board and provide direction for the year’s events and activities
- Ensure that events and activities uphold the 4 pillars of the mission statement
- Plan and organize board meetings 2x a month
- Maintain relationships with EE, OCS, OSA, and peer clubs to promote ECO’s initiatives
Treasurer: Cash is King
- Manage ECO’s financial accounts
- Work with the Co-Presidents to secure funding for club events and activities
- Maintain the club’s budget and provide final budgetary approvals for any initiative or event
- Work with the SIPA business office to pay bills to vendors
Director of Communication: We’re looking for someone with a strong GIF game
- Write and publish weekly newsletter on ECO-related events, activities, and opportunities
- Manage ECO’s website: https://eco-sipa.org/ and Orgsync page
- Manage ECO’s social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter)
Director of Events: Lead and support other members in planning environmentally-focused events. Events include brown bag lunches, site visits, skills-building workshops
- Ensures events are in line with University Policy
- Reserve space through University Events Management, and arrange and set up technical services
- Identify resources needed for events (supplies, decorations, and food) and confirm with all service providers and/or speakers
Director of Membership: Build ECO’s membership and club base
- Build ECO’s mailing list and maintain its internal communication system
- Co-organize mixers and events with other student organizations, both at SIPA and cross-schools
- Stay informed of other organizations’ events and share our events
- Reach out to high-level community/government leaders in the NYC area in order to invite them as speakers at events and to build ECO as a brand
Director(s) of Sustainability: Campus-action arm of ECO.
- Work to improve waste management practices within IAB
- Create direction for the Zero-Waste project (big picture)
- Run waste audits and analyze recycling rates
- Work with University administrators at SIPA and the Office of Environmental Stewardship to improve practices. Historically, this has focused on improving waste management and reducing food waste from events in IAB through a grant from OES, but could be expanded and/or modified in years to come.
- Present results on an annual basis
- Connect other members of ECO to opportunities to engage in the University’s sustainability planning process.
Direct any questions to Yen (ykl2017) or Dan (dcl2128). We look forward to reading your applications.