Hi everyone –
I know we are in the middle of midterms, but give yourself a break and go outside, enjoy the weather and do some Fall(y) activities…apple picking, leaf peeping, pumpkin picking/carving, hiking… and if you are an indoors person (or even if you are not), check out our newsletter and go to our events!!!
Here are this week’s events:
What is the Future of the US Environmental Policy Post-Election?
Environmental Policy Over Coffee EPOC will host the event on Thursday.
When: Thursday, October 20th, 1-2pm
Where: 1510 IAB
Support for Nature’s Risks and Returns Conference Oct. 25
This is a new conference hosted by EE on investing in Natural Capital. You can learn more information about the conference, buy tickets or sign up for the live stream at the website at www.naturesrisksandreturns.com.
Volunteer Opportunity at the Nature Conservancy’s New York City Program
Volunteer opportunity to plant native trees and shrubs at the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge on October 28th and 29th. The goal of our project is to restore habitat for an array of resident and migratory songbirds, as well as more than 60 species of butterflies and native pollinators. I can answer any questions about logistics or the project in general. Sign up here
GENERAL ADVICE FROM ONE SEEPLE TO ANOTHER
This is the time of year when people ask for advice about where they can find help with their writing, so here you can find some useful information:
- Office of Student Affairs provides student writing tutors. Please go to them to get the names of this year’s tutors.
- Appointments can be made at the Columbia College writing center http://www.college.columbia.edu/core/uwp/writing-center You are allowed two hours a week at no charge. One is a dropping session and the other can be booked in advance.
- For foreign students, there is the American Language Program at Columbia University’s School of Continuing Ed. http://ce.columbia.edu/alp
- IMAC has some lectures on basic writing and reporting on the IMAC pages of SIPA’s website. link here or use https://sipa.columbia.edu/academics/specializations/technology-media-and-communications/student-resources
- For more advanced writers, IMAC offers courses on subjects such as writing on international affairs, writing on policy and writing with an international dateline. See our course listings for more details. Kindly note these are not ESOL courses.
Isaura Espinosa de los Monteros (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Will Jordan (email@example.com)
SIPA Environmental Coalition (ECO) Communications Co-Directors