November 22nd, 2015
Gobble gobble ECO,
In the spirit of Thanksgiving, we’d like to give thanks to you, our members. Thank you for your enthusiasm and engagement this semester!
Keep reading for announcements and upcoming events.
Last year, a series of waste audits revealed that SIPA had one of the worst track records for recycling at Columbia. As part of a Green Fund grant from Columbia’s Office of Environmental Stewardship, ECO is examining challenges around proper recycling and waste reduction. In the coming weeks and months, we’ll be sharing information about how to recycle and encouraging students to reduce waste on campus and moving towards a possible pilot project to test composting our food waste.
How can you help? Please fill out this short survey on your knowledge of recycling by December 1st. If you commit to take one of four simple actions over this school year and give us your uni, you will also be entered to win one of four gift certificates from local vendors.
2016 ECO Board
Director of Events: Mona Sultan Alsubaei
Treasurer: Utsav Adhikari
Director of Membership and Outreach: Chris Westling
ECO Green Fund
Sustainability Manager: Sonya Suter
Deputy Sustainability Manager: Toby Hyde
The summit includes a panel discussion with Vlada Kenniff, Managing Director of Demand Management and Resiliency at New York’s DEP, Prof. Upmanu Lall, Director of the Columbia Water Center, and Prof. William Becker, Vice President of Hazen & Sawyer’s drinking water practice. In addition to the panel, there will be networking opportunities with other students and clubs, as well as light refreshments. More details to come.
Where: Earl Hall
- EDF Climate Corps, Multiple project opportunities (Definitely apply!!!); Deadline December 8, 2015 – http://edfclimatecorps.org/
- Sustainability Consulting Practice, NYC manufacturing and technology sustainability: SIPALink ID: 5792; Deadline December 11, 2015 – https://goo.gl/u6ksuS
- Sustainability and Wearable Tech Program Development Support : SIPALink ID: 58277; Deadline December 11, 2015 – https://goo.gl/h3ulHr
- Global Dairy Platform, Agriculture Sustainability: SIPALink ID: 58528; Deadline December 11, 2015 – https://goo.gl/9HqRt6
- World Resources Institute, Climate Resilient Development: SIPALink ID: 58685
- Carbon Disclosure Project, Energy & Utilities: SIPALink ID: 58793
- Tetra Tech International Development, Environment and Natural Resources: SIPALink ID: 58477
WORLD SNAPSHOT: ENVIRONMENTAL HEADLINES
SIPA Environmental Coalition (ECO) Communications Director
MPA Candidate (2017), School of International and Public Affairs, Columbia University