October 4th, 2015
Here’s what is going on for this week and next, we hope you can join! See below for details.
Friday, October 9th, 2015
ECO Site Visit: Newtown Creek Wastewater Treatment
In collaboration with Columbia Business School’s Green Business Club, we’ll be having a site visit to Newtown Creek. Newtown Creek is the largest of New York City’s 14 wastewater treatment plants. The plant uses futuristic, high-tech digester eggs to process as much as 1.5 million gallons of sludge every day. Visit the plant and learn more about how the city’s sewer system works.
Where: Newtown Creek Wastewater Treatment, Greenpoint
RSVP: Space is limited; email cao2143.
Event website: https://www.facebook.com/events/1648196785451650/
As we embark on the post-2015 development agenda, the newly launched Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) will set the agenda for global action for the next fifteen years. The SDGs expand on the 8 previous goals (poverty and hunger, education, gender equality, maternal health, child mortality, HIV-AIDS, environmental sustainability, global partnership) and incorporate new goals and targets related to sustainable energy, economic growth and employment, inequality, sustainable consumption and production, climate change, and sustainability of the seas and ecosystems.
This discussion will address what the new SDGs mean for the business community, seeking to answer:
- How will the SDGs push the sustainability agenda forward, involving companies as partners?
- What are resources for companies seeking to align their corporate responsibility goals with the SDGs?
- What impact will they have on the development of legislation or incentives affecting companies?
- Haiti Solar/Battery Project, email email@example.com by Monday, October 12. Details here.
- NYSERDA, Research Intern: SIPALink ID: 57463
- Environmental Defense Fund, Policy Intern: SIPALink ID: 57385
- Environmental Defense Fund, Oil & Gas: SIPALink ID: 57387
WORLD SNAPSHOT: ENVIRONMENTAL HEADLINES
SIPA Environmental Coalition (ECO) Communications Director
MPA Candidate (2017), School of International and Public Affairs, Columbia University